So, from all things healthy this is going to blow your mind. You CAN NOT taste the cauliflower at all and even kids truely don’t believe that the sauce is vegetable based. How cool is that? Kids eating tons of veggies and not even believing it? In fact there are plenty of adults who aren’t crazy about vegetables and they too will become a big fan of this amazing Cauliflower Alfredo Bake.
The creamyness of the sauce is incredible. To be honest, I still can’t get over it, every time we eat this at home, I’m still amazed at how creamy and good this is without the gallons of dairy fat. Ok, there’s some cheese to go over the top that you could even sub for vegan cheese or just leave out all together if you really want to cut the calories, either way it certainly beats a sauce with tons of cream and eggs. I am super thrilled about this recipe and I really encourage you to try. It’s a really easy recipe and very budget friendly too. 😊
I just want to add that Lentil Pasta has less carbs than regular pasta, it’s gluten free and full of fibre, what’s not to like?
Vegan option ✔
Vegetarian option ✔
Gluten free ✔
Dairy free ✔
Ref. sugar free ✔
Dairy free ✔
Egg free ✔
- 12.5 oz. Red Lentil Penne
- 1/2 lb cauliflower florets
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped fine
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and grated or crushed
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil or Coconut Oil
- 1 cup low fat (soy) cream
- 1 cup cooking liquid
- 2 tsp. Vegetable Bouillon Powder
- a pinch of nutmeg
- 1 cup cooked chicken or vegan/vegetarian alternative
- 1/2 cup (Gluten Free) Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 cup (vegan) grated cheese
Pre heat oven to 200° C / 400° F
- In a large pan bring water to the boil and add salt. Add the lentil penne and cook for about 6 minutes or according to package instructions. When cooked, remove the pasta to a collander using a slotted spoon reserving the water in the pan. Alternatively you can drain the pasta over another pan to catch the water and return it to the heat. Place the pasta in a oven proof dish and set aside.
- Once the water is boiling again you can add the cauliflower and boil it for about 7 minutes or until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife.
- Meanwhile gently cook the onion and garlic in the oil over meadium heat until translucent , about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Reserve two cups of the cooking liquid and drain the cauliflower. Let all the steam evaporate.
- When the cauliflower has cooled down a bit place it in a food processor together with the onion, garlic and a pinch of nutmeg. Add one cup of the cooking liquid the 2 teaspoons of stock powder and process. Add the cup of (soy) cream and process again until it is smooth. Season with some more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Add this point you can add a cup of cooked chicken or vegan alternative to the pasta in the baking dish.
- Spread the Cauliflower Alfredo over the Penne pasta and toss so everything is coated.
- Sprinkle over the cheese and then the breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until nice a golden on top.
If you try this recipe let me know! Leave a comment below and don’t forget to snap a pic and tag it #thecookingspoonblog on instagram! You’ll make my day. ♥
Not quite what you’re looking for? How about Garlic Herb Shrimp with Bacon over Angel Hair Pasta or maybe Spaghetti alle Vongole