We’re going to start the week with Blondies! Sure why not?…..it’s almost Easter.
And you know what? They’re healthy! I know, it’s hard to believe right? Ok so there’s a tiny little drizzle of white chocolate on top and a microscopic amount of sprinkles and a few choccy chips but hey, something gotta give.
So yes, no unhealthy fats or butter but cashews instead. No flour, but white beans. No refined sugar but Agave, get the idea?
I’m thrilled about them.
And they’ve been “teen approved” and that says a lot. I just loved the look on my daughters face when after gobbling one down I told her she was eating white beans….such a laugh, she always gives me this look like she’s been totally mislead. Which I suppose in one part is true. But it’s for her own good.
The other great part is that it’s a one bowl-er.
You start of by blending the beans and cashew nuts until very smooth and then you add the remaining ingredients, it that simple.
Vegan option √
Gluten free √
Makes 16 squares
Needed: 8 x 8 inch baking dish
- 1 1/2 C. cooked white beans
- 1/2 C. soaked Cashew nuts
- 1 large egg (vegans sub for 1 flax egg)
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 C. coconut sugar
- 1/2 C. agave syrup
- 1 C. oat flour
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 C. chocolate chips (vegan)
- 3/4 C. cooked white beans
- 1 C. soaked Cashew nuts
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. Agave syrup
- 1/4 C. white chocolate melts (or vegan white chocolate)
- Pre heat the oven to 180° C / 350° F
- Line a baking dish with baking parchment and oil lightly.
- Soak the cashew nuts in advance for a about two hours. Drain before use.
- Place white beans and cashew nuts in a food processor and blend until completely smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend again.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir thru with a spatula.
- Pour the blondies dough into the prepared baking dish, level out with a spatula.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes
- Remove from oven and let completely before frosting.
TO MAKE THE FROSTING:
- Blend all the ingredients for the frosting in a blender until completely smooth.
- Keep in the fridge until ready to use.
- Spread a nice layer of frosting over the bars. (I do this after cutting them in squares.
- Then melt the white chocolate melts in the microwave at 30 second intervals and drizzle diagonally over the frosting.
- Decorate with sprinkles straight away so they stick to the chocolate.
Not quit what you were looking for? How about Blueberry Oat bars with Coconut and Chocolate or Almond Cherry Chocolate Chip Granola Bars .