I know, right?
How delish does this sound, I mean….4 ingredient Strawberry ice cream squashed between the best double chocolate chip cookies in the world. I’m so happy right now (… I just had one😋 )🍧🍪
I have decided to go vegan again for the hundredth time, since I was having some digestive issues, hence the last post Gluten Free Bread I thought it best to cut out meat, fish and dairy for a while too and see how I feel, I’ve been doing this for two weeks now and I have to say, I feel amazing. I’ve done it before for several months a year, for years now but never as strict as now. Before I would still eat cheese, but now I realize that that’s probably the one thing causing most of the trouble. Long story short, I’m loving it and I really want to stick with for a while, maybe forever and even start a new vegan blog, who knows?
But for now, I’ve got these perfect summer time ice cream cookies. The strawberry ice cream is so velvety (also because of the tapioca flour which add softness) and yummy I can’t even begin to explain how delicious, you can really taste fresh strawberry and then cream. Well strawberries and cream have been an an epic combo since forever so that isn’t exactly news. But putting them between double chocolate chip cookies bring it to a whole new level.
Speaking of cookies, did you try these Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies. already?
I’ve actually adapted these cookies from that recipe, swapping the egg for a flax egg and using my gluten free flour mix from the gluten free bread recipe instead and adding cocoa. Yes I’m a chocoholic with a crown (= proud of it). I haven’t had chocolate for over a month, but now I can handle it again. (proud of that too, such an accomplishment).
🍧 Prep time : Cookies, 15 minutes plus baking. Ice cream, 10 minutes plus freezing
⏰ Cooking time: 12 minutes
😋 Makes : 6 (large) Sandwiches
STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM;
- 300 grs / 10.5 oz , about 1 1/2 cups (frozen )Strawberries, hulled
- 4 tbsp. Agave Syrup or according to taste
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. tapioca flour
- 1 cup Soy whipping cream
- Freeze the strawberries the night before if you are using fresh ones.
- Put the strawberries with the agave syrup, the tapioca and vanilla in a blender and blend untill very smooth.
- Whip the soy cream untill stiff peaks form and fold the strawberries thru the whipped cream.
- Place in an ice cream maker or in a container in the freezer. If you freeze it in the freezer you need to whip it every hour or hour and a half until it is frozen to avoid crystallization.
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES;
- 1 tbsp ground flax plus 1 tsp. tapioca flour, plus 3 tbsp. water mixed
- 1/2 C. solid coconut oil/fat
- 3/4 C. coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp. gluten free flour ( see Gluten Free Bread Loaf )
- 1/4 C. cocoa
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. pink Himalaya salt
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 C. mini vegan chocolate chips
- Start by soaking the flax/tapioca mix and let stand for about 10 minutes while you prepare the rest.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- In an other bowl, mix the wet ingredients and combine with the dry.
- At this point I like to place the cookie dough on a piece of parchment paper and roll it into a cylinder.
- Then I place it in the refrigerator for at least two hours or if you are in a hurry in the freezer for half an hour.
- This will give you the perfect cookie consistency when baking. They dough needs to be really cold!!!
- Then when you’re ready to bake, pre heat the oven to 175° C / 350° F
- Shape dough into balls and press them a little flat with your hand. Lay them onto the baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- The cookies may look a little soft still but they will continue to cook on the baking sheet. You don’t want them too soft in this case.
- When you take them out of the oven, immediately press on a few more chocolate chips, for prettiness. And because it’s so darn delicious!
- Let cool completly. I keep mine in the refrigerator because I love how they become chewy.
- To make the ice cream sandwich, take two cookies. Scoop out one big ball of strawberry ice cream and place it on one cookie. Gently press on the second cookie being careful not to break.
- Press the sandwiches in some sprinkles if you like.
NOTE 1: I scooped the ice cream balls ahead of time and placed them in a container and back into the freezer until I was ready to “build” the sandwiches.
NOTE 2: Once you’ve made your Strawberry Ice Cream Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwiches (uh hello…?.) you can keep them in the freezer assembled. Just in case you can’t eat them all in one go. Or can you?
…..and remember share, share, share…. 💜