Everywhere I look, it’s Pumpkins, Pumpkins and more Pumpkins and I’m loving it.
I can’t get enough of Pumpkin anyway, I eat them all year round (thanks to frozen pumpkin cubes we have over here).
But since I’ve been thinking a lot about Pumpkins lately (no surprise there), I wanted to find more ways to use them. And gratefully I have, today I am sharing with you my Pumpkin Bread Loaf. Just like a normal whole grain loaf but with Pumpkin puree in it.
The result is a soft textured loaf, hearty with a hint of sweetness and a nice crispy crust.
I’ve kept it plain and simple so you can eat it with anything from cheese to Nutella (oh là là Nutella, that sounds good. Note to self, eat for breakfast tomorrow).
The color of the bread needless to say, is beautiful.
So those of you who are still looking for a new Pumpkin adventure, make a loaf of bread, you’ll thank me later 🙂
Tip: keep little tubs of cooked and pureed pumpkin in the freezer.
⏰ Prep time: 15 minutes
🎃 Cooking time: ca 30 minutes
🍴 Makes: 2 Loafs
- 4 – 4 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 package. instant dry yeast
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, freshly made or canned
- 1 ¼ cup luke warm water
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- a small handful of Pumpkin seeds
- more flour for rolling out dough
- In a bowl mix the two flours.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups flour. Add the pumpkin puree. Beat until smooth.
- Stir in enough remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each into a loaf. Place in two greased 9×5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
- Brush the tops with a little water and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.
- Bake at 375 F for 30 – 35 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove from oven and place on wire racks to cool.