….Winter Granola, Cherries and cozy spices…..
Just so you know, if you really want to get into the Fall Season Feeling, this one’s for you!
All the flavours of Autumn and Winter in a bowl, seriously I could eat this stuff three times a day. Yes, it’s that good!
(OK, I know I say that about everything but hey…).
I have taken a different approach this time and made a caramel like sticky sauce to stir thru the Oats, so good and the smell, I can’t even…
- 5 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon star anise, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil or canola oil (or butter if you really want to be naughty)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried Cherries
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar with the water and maple syrup and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture comes to a boil. Cook for a few minutes to reduce.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the syrup cool slightly.
- Add the vanilla.
- Preheat oven to 320° F/ 160° C degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Toss the oats, spices. hazelnuts, seeds and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Add the coconut/canola oil to the brown sugar syrup and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the syrup over the oat mixture and mix well with a rubber until thoroughly combined. Make sure all of the oats are moistened.
- Spread onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes.
- Rotate baking tray halfway thru.
- Allow granola to cool completely in order to get the crunchy clusters.
- Now add the dried Cherries.
- Store this in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a month.
Note: Keep in a safe place or it will be gone before you know it 🙂
…….and remember, sharing is cool…