Tonka beans are simply amazing, with a flavour somewhere between vanilla, almond, and cinnamon, but also fruity and caramel like. When used in a cold dish like ice cream the taste is like a vanilla caramel. When warm, like for instance with seafood (love it), it moves toward spiced vanilla.
I once had a lobster with a white wine tonka bean sauce that I still dream about today.
There are all sorts of warnings out there that Tonka beans can be toxic if consumed in high quantities, but after days of research I can assure you that you would really have to eat vast amounts of it, like 30 tonka beans or so. One tonka bean is generally enough for 4 to 6 recipes give or take and depending on what you are making, but to give you an idea. I use it like I do nutmeg and grate it over dishes. It contains some coumarin, but this is also found naturally in cinnamon, lavender and licorice for instance. And after all, alcohol is toxic too and no-one seems to mind. Did you know that even nutmeg is toxic in large amounts?
The nougat buttercream is made with something sold here in Europe called Nut Nougat paste, it sold in block by brands like Dr. Oetker. Similar are pastes like Valrhona Almond & Hazelnut Praline Paste.
Look how lush and creamy the buttercream looks!
⏰ Prep time : 20 minutes
🍝 Cooking time : 18-20 minutes,
🍴 Makes : 18
INGREDIENTS CARROT CAKE TONKA BEAN CUPCAKES:
- 1 and 3/4 cups packed light brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 and 1/2 cups white (spelt) flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp. pumpkin spice or cookie spice
- 1/3 tsp. grated Tonka Bean
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 cups grated carrots
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C
- In a large bowl, whisk the brown sugar, oil, eggs, applesauce, and vanilla together until combined . Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, grated tonka bean and spice together until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and, using a rubber spatula fold the ingredients together until just combined. Then, fold in the carrots and raisins.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the muffin tin, lined with cupcake liners. About 3/4 full.
- Place on a rack in the middle of the oven and bake for about 18 – 20 minutes.
- To check, insert a toothpick in the middle to see if it comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a rack.
INGREDIENTS NOUGAT PRALINE BUTTERCREAM:
- 2 cups Buttercream
- 150 g / 5 oz. Nut-Nougat-paste
- 25 g Hazelnut crocanti
INSTRUCTIONS NOUGAT PRALINE BUTTERCREAM:
- Melt the nougat over low heat until it is completely soft. Let cool.
- While beating your buttercream, add the nougat paste slowly and beat until fully incorporated.
- Set aside until ready to use
When the cupcakes are baked and cooled frost them with the Nougat buttercream.
I used a knife. Then sprinkle with Hazelnut Crocanti.
They freeze well too (unfrosted).
If you try this recipe let me know! Leave a comment below and don’t forget to snap a pic and tag it #thecookingspoonblog on instagram! You’ll make my day. ♥