This has to be my favourite starter, and anyone who loves cheese will go mad over this. I mean who doesn’t love melted cheese?
The great this about this recipe is that you can use any leftover cheese you may have lying around, they just have to be full fat , so no light cheeses allowed here because they don’t really melt properly and end up being rubbery.
You want the whole melted gooey, cheesy, stringy experience.
On the bottom of the dish there is a layer of onion confit that I made myself by cooking a lot of onions with some brown sugar and dark balsamic vinegar. You can make your own or use a jar of store-bought onion jam or onion chutney whichever you prefer. Or even just golden fried onions will work too.
Then it’s topped with a layer of Cranberry sauce, again store-bought is fine or make your own.
Finally the whole thing is topped with mixed grated and cubed cheeses. Use whatever you have lying around. I tend to make it with leftovers, so each time its a bit different, sometimes with some added Gruyère or Roquefort, and every time its delicious and disappears in about 10 minutes (and that’s because guests are trying to behave).
And, it’s made in about 10 minutes plus oven!!!
⏰ Prep time : 10 minutes
🍝 Cooking time : 20 minutes
🍴 Serves : 4 as a starter
- 1/2 Cup Onion Confit , Onion jam or Onion chutney
- 1/2 cup Cranberry Sauce
- a grating of pepper
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 150 gr / 5.2 oz Brie, crust remove and cut into cubes
- 150 gr. / 5.2 oz Cheddar, grated
- 100 gr. / 3.5 oz Gouda, grated
- Pre heat the oven to 220 C / 425 F
- Place all the cheese in a bowl.
- Mix the milk with the corn flour and mix through the cheeses.
- Get out your baking dish and spread the onion jam, confit or chutney on the bottom
- Then top with a layer of the cranberry sauce.
- Cover with all the cheese from the bowl.
- Place in the middle of a hot oven and bake for about 20 minutes until golden and bubbly.
- Place on a big plate surrounded by crackers and bread and serve straight away.
If you try this recipe let me know! Leave a comment below and don’t forget to snap a pic and tag it #thecookingspoonblog on instagram! You’ll make my day. ♥
…and remember sharing is fun!