What can be more comforting than a bowl of soup? If you need a quick fix, or are in a hurry to get dinner on the table, this one is for you.
• 1 tbsp. Olive oil
• 1 small onion, peeled and chopped fine
• 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
• 2 medium carrots, washed and sliced
• 2 tbsp. tomato paste
• 2 cans peeled plum tomatoes
• 2 tubs passata
• 2 stock cubes, beef
• 2 tot 3 whole sprigs of basil with the leafs, left whole
• 1 – 2 tsp. sugar
• 1 Cup evaporated milk
• ¼ Cup Cream Cheese
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• A handful of fresh Basil leafs, for serving
• 1 Cup grated cheddar (loosely packed) for serving
• 1 tray ready made small meatballs
Heat the olive oil in a large pot.
Add onions, carrots and garlic and sautée until translucent. About 5 minutes on medium low heat.
Add the tomato paste and fry for 30 seconds.
Add the canned tomatoes and passata and the stock cubes (crumbled between your fingers)
Also add one can (from the tomatoes) filled with hot water.
Add the whole sprigs of basil, bring to a slow simmer and leave for 15 – 20 minutes.
Remove the basil sprigs and blend with an immersion blender.
Add the meatballs.
Add milk and cream cheese. Add the sugar one teaspoon at a time and check how you like it, adding the remaining teaspoon if necessary. I like it sweet so I added two, and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
At this point check the thickness of the soup, if you want it thinner add some more milk or water and if you do, adjust seasoning again.
Sprinkle with some Basil leafs and serve piping hot and serve with some crunchy baguette.