This is our favorite cozy soup, made in a flash and so stinking easy, it’s almost embarrassing. Loaded with veggies to fight that flu too.
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves : 6
• ¼ cup olive oil
• 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped fine
• 1 red bell pepper, cleaned and cut into dice (reserve some for serving)
• 1 large carrot, cut into dice
• 1 celery stick, chopped
• 1 leek, rinsed clean and sliced
• 2 garlic cloves, peeled and grated
• ¼ cup flour
• 6 cups chicken stock
• 2 stock cubes or more salt
• 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
• 1 cup corn kernels, drained (reserve some for serving)
• 1 cup double cream
• 8 rashers bacon, cooked crisp and drained on kitchen paper
• Handful of chopped parsley to serve
Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add onion, pepper, carrot, celery and leek. Cook on medium until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
Add the flour and stir to combine completely before adding the stock a little at a time, stirring to combine as you add. Pour in all the stock.
Season to taste with salt and pepper or add 2 stock cubes, crumbled up.
Add the chicken and corn and continue to cook until veggies are tender and the chicken is heated thru, about 15 minutes. Add the cream and leave to simmer until the soup is thoroughly hot.
To serve , ladle soup into pretty bowl and sprinkle with reserved parsley, red bell pepper, and corn. Crumble some bacon over the top and serve with lots of crusty bread.