Fresh Zucchini is stuffed with hearty chicken and sauce, topped with cheese and baked to perfection making this a delicious low-carb and gluten-free dinner!
These zucchini boats are for low-carb lovers and just about anyone else! We all have those nights when we crave a large slice of pizza or lasagna but don’t want all the carbs at night. With these zucchini boats, you get all the deliciousness without the carbs because the zucchini crust is used as the base.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
• 4 medium zucchini or 8 small
• 1 pound chicken breast
• 1 small can of corn (drained) omit if your diet is strict
•1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1/2 cup onion chopped
• 2 cloves garlic minced
• 1 cup marinara sauce
• 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 1 cup low-fat shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 190 C/375 F. Slice zucchini in half, and carve them out with a spoon. Chop the zucchini ‘meat’ and set it aside. Line zucchini boats on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or lightly greased with oil.
2. Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet. Cook onion for 2-3 minutes or until it begins to golden. Add the garlic and cook for a few seconds. Add meat and cook until it’s no longer pink, 3-5 minutes. Add the marinara sauce, zucchini pulp, italian seasoning and salt + pepper. Simmer for 8-10 minutes.
3. Spoon mixture into zucchini boats and top each with shredded cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until zucchini is cooked and the cheesy is fully melted and bubbly