Pollo al Ajillo is one of my favorite Spanish dishes, besides Fideuá and Paella. This particular dish has tons of Garlic, White wine, Rosemary, Thyme and good Olive oil. You can serve it with potatoes cooked along with the Chicken or leave them out and just serve with some crusty Baguette.
Preheat an oven to 350°F (180°C).
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 10 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, about 2 1⁄2 lb. or 1 whole Chicken cut in to 12 pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper or use Poultry seasoning if you like
- 12 garlic cloves separated, unpeeled
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped fine
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 glass dry white wine
- 3/4 – 1 cup chicken broth
- 6 medium peeled potatoes, about 3⁄4 lb. (375 g) total, cut in slices or quarters
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs, 4 fresh sprigs Rosemary
- 2 bay leafs
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped Rosemary
- Some parsley to scatter over for serving.
In a large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper. Working in batches as needed to avoid crowding, add the chicken to the hot pan, skin side down, and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, about 6 minutes per side. Transfer each batch, skin side up, to a large baking dish or a round one (like mine). Scatter over the chopped rosemary and put the remaining thyme and rosemary twigs tucked between the chicken pieces. Set aside.
Pre heat the oven to 375° F.
Do not wipe the pan clean and keep it over medium-high heat. Add the remaining olive oil to the pan.
Add the garlic cloves to the saucepan and the chopped onion cook, stirring often, until lightly browned and beginning to soften, add the sliced garlic and 1 tbsp. flour. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the wine, stock and bay leafs and let bubble for a few minutes.Pour the sauce over the chicken.
Wash the potatoes, leave the skin on and cut them length wise in four. Tuck between the chicken pieces. . They’ll absorb the chicken flavour and will taste amazing.
Bake in the oven uncovered for about 40-50 minutes. The potatoes should be tender and the chicken opaque throughout and the juices should run clear when pierced with a fork. Serve immediately scattered with some freshly chopped parsley.
Great served with Green Beans with Chorizo & Thyme