These are easy and delicious. Sticky sweet Spare ribs are first simmered to tenderize and then grilled or barbequed to get crispy and sticky. So delicious, you won’t be able to stop eating them.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 65 minutes approx.
- 2 pounds meaty spare ribs, sliced into individual ribs
- 4 tablespoon dry white wine or Shaoxing
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar* See note below
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chili paste/sauce such as Gochujang or Sambal Oelek
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and grated
- 1 “/2.5 cm peeled and grated ginger
- 3/4 tsp. Chinese five spice
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon corn starch + 1/2 cup water
- Sesame seeds, optional
Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Season spareribs with salt and pepper. Add enough of the sparerib pieces to the pan, fat sides down, to fit in a single layer. Cook 10 minutes or until browned, turning once. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining pieces. Discard fat.
Meanwhile, in a large pot stir together wine, soy sauce, hoisin, vinegar, honey, chili paste, garlic, ginger, five spice and water until mixed.
Return all ribs to the pot with any juices. Bring to a simmer, stirring to coat ribs. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 45 minutes or until ribs are just tender, stirring once or twice, adding a little water if necessary.
Pre heat oven to 450 F / 200 C . Remove ribs onto a oven safe rack/baking tray and bake for 20 minutes until dark , crunchy and sticky. Brush with additional marinade half way.
Meanwhile make a slurry with the cornstarch and water, add this to the pot and simmer for a few minutes to thicken the sauce. Serve alongside the spare ribs. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired. I like to serve this with some stir fried broccoli, with some chili and garlic. Enjoy!