As soon as the weather changes we love having crumbles for dessert, there’s something so utterly comforting about warm fruit with a buttery crispy topping. Besides being so simple to make the possibilities are endless.
I made these individual pots for a dinner party dessert with added Amaretto for the adults but if you don’t want to use alcohol you can simply omit or even substitute for a few drops of almond extract. See note below.
For the crisp topping
• 200gr. all purpose flour
• 100gr. sugar
• 140gr. unsalted butter at room temperature, cubed, plus a little for greasing
• 60 gr. ground or finely chopped almonds
• Pinch of salt
For the filling
• 500 gr. Frozen pitted black cherries
• 1 tbsp. corn starch (maizena)
• 2 tbsp. sugar
• Pinch of cinnamon
• 2 tablespoons Amaretto liquor* (optional, and leave out for children)
Pre heat the oven to 200C/180C
1. In a large mixing bowl, place the flour, sugar, pinch of salt and the cubed butter. Mix with your hands until it you have a crumbly mixture with still some lumps of butter remaining.
2. Toss in the almonds and mix to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, toss the cherries together with the sugar, cinnamon and corn starch. Pour over the Amaretto and stir to combine.
4. Spoon mixture into 6 oven safe ramekins and spoon the crumble over the filling.
5. Place on a rack in the middle of the oven and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes until the top is golden and the cherries are bubbling.
6. Serve hot or at room temperature with a dollop of vanilla ice cream or crème fraiche.
∗Substitute Amaretto for a few drops almond extract, a little goes a long way since almond extract is quite strong.
Need more crumble inspiration? Try these….
- Peach and Berry Crumble
- Apples and Blackberries with an Almond Cookie dough Crumble
- Apple Blueberry Maple-Cashew Crumble
- Berry Cheesecake Crumble Bars
- Caramel Chestnut Cream Cheese Crumble Bars.