These are great as a party food or also as a finger food for movie night. We even have them for dinner and serve them with some cucumber sticks or salad. Either way they’re delicious and a real crowd pleaser too. And really not as difficult as they may seem.
The vegetables are adjustable to whatever you may have lying around in your fridge or whatever is in season, add any of the following, the total should come up to one pound of vegetables approximately for this recipe. At least 4 or 5 different kinds is best. The ones marked with an asterix are the vegetables I have used in my Spring Rolls.
carrots*, shredded or cut into sticks
shiitake (soaked and stem removed)
sugar snap peas*,
finely sliced red bell pepper
PREP TIME : 30 MINUTES
COOKING TIME: 15 MINUTES
MAKES : 10 MEDIUM OR 20 SMALL
INGREDIENTS SPRING ROLLS:
4 oz. rice noodles soaked
1 tbsp. vegetable oil for frying, divided
1 lb. mixed vegetables
1 tsp. grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine or dry white wine
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. Ketjap Manis
1 tsp. Sambal Oelek or more
1 teaspoon sesame oil
black pepper, to taste
2 tsp. Boemboe Sate (sate seasoning)
For the meat or tofu:
• 8 ounces ground pork/chicken or scrambled tofu
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon sesame oil
• 1 teaspoon Shaoxing wine or white wine
• 1 tbsp. black bean sauce
• ¼ teaspoon white pepper
1 package 8″ square spring roll wrappers
• 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tablespoon water for sealing the spring rolls
• Canola, peanut or vegetable oil, for frying
• Sate sauce see Chicken Saté (Saté Ajam)
Sticky Red Chili Sauce:
• 1 tbsp. Lemon juice
• 1 tbsp. honey or agave if vegan
• 1 tbsp. sambal oelek
• 4 tbsp. Ketchup
• 1 tsp. sesame oil
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
Garlic Lime Cashew Sauce:
• 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in boiling water for one hour, drained
• 1/4 cup water or more
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 tablespoon lime juice, or to taste
• 1 tbsp. aple cider vinegar
• 1 tsp. maple syrup
• 1 heaping teaspoon tahini
• 1 small garlic clove
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 tsp. onion powder
• salt and pepper, or to taste
Mix in a high speed blender until smooth.
INSTRUCTIONS SPRING ROLLS:
1. Place the noodles in a large bowl, cover with boiling water and leave for 2 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water, then set aside.
2. Heat a large frying pan or wok, add half the oil.
3. When hot, add the meat or tofu to the pan and fry for a few minutes, adding the seasoning after the first minute, cook until cooked thru. Transfer to a large bowl.
4. Put the pan back on the heat and add the remaining oil.
5. Add the vegetables when hot and stir fry for 5 minutes approximately. After the first minute of cooking you add the spice mix and the remaining ingredients. Tossing to coat everything.
6. Place into the bowl with the rice noodles.
7. Toss everything together.
8. In a small bowl, blend the cornflour and 2 tablespoons of cold water.
9. Next, lay two spring-roll wrapper, smooth-side down, on a clean surface as a diamond shape, with one corner pointing down towards you.
10. Spoon 3 tablespoons of the filling on the bottom corner of the double wrapper. Brush each corner with the cornflour mixture, then start rolling up from the bottom. When the filling is covered, pull the corners in from each side (to seal the ends as you go). Continue rolling until the filling is tightly covered, then press to seal the top corner.
11. Lay the finished rolls on a large plate that has been oiled lightly and cover with a damp tea towel. Continue until you’ve filled all the wrappers.
12. Heat the oil in a large wok or saucepan over a medium heat.
13. Carefully lower the spring rolls into the oil and deep-fry for 2–3 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
14. Serve with the dipping sauces.