Mexican Pulled Beef with Jalapeño Cheddar Corn Bread, comfort food at its best!
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2.5 lbs. boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 2 thick slices
- 1 tsp. Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. All Purpose Unbleached Flour
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped fine
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and grated
- 2 tbsp. Unsweetened Cocoa (this is a must)
- 2 tbsp. ground Cumin
- 2 tbsp. sweet smoked paprika
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoon fresh oregano leafs or 2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 tsp. dried Thyme
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 C. Chopped Coriander
- 1 (15-ounce) cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 C. beef stock
- 1-2 tbsp. Liquid Smoke
- 1 – 2 tsp. chopped chipotle (depending on how hot you like it)
- 1 tbsp. coconut sugar or sweetener of choice
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp. fresh Coriander leafs
Toppings; scallions, avocado chunks, sour cream, cheddar cheese, fried onion rings
Turn on your slow cooker, set to high.
Meanwhile heat a large frying pan and add 3 tbsp. of oil. Season the beef with the salt and pepper and toss with the flour. Sear the beef on both sides and brown until quite dark. Transfer to the slow cooker
Next fry the onions in the pan with the remaining oil until golden add the garlic and cook for an other minute. Transfer to the slow cooker.
Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker, except the beans and Coriander leafs
Cook on high for 4 hours. After three hours add the beans. The cooking time depends on your slow cooker and the quality of the beef. So just check by pulling away a piece of beef with a fork. If it loosens easily transfer the beef to a cutting board or large platter. Leaving the beans in the pot. Pull the beef apart into chunky bits and shreds with two forks. Return to slow cooker. Heat thoroughly again for about half an hour until ready to serve. Sprinkle generously with fresh Coriander leafs. Serve with Pumpkin Corn Bread and lots of toppings.
Ingredients Jalapeño Cheddar Corn Bread;
- 1 C. corn meal
- 1 C. Spelt Flour
- 2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp. dried Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1/2 C. corn kernels form a can, drained
- 1/2 C. Cheddar cheese, grated
- 3/4 C. unsweetened plain yoghurt
- 1/2 C of milk + 1 tbsp.
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 Jalapeño, sliced and deseeded
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
Pre heat the oven to 425° F / 220° C
Put an 8″ cast iron skillet in the oven too to pre heat
In a bowl mix all the dry ingredients and stir to mix. Add the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
Remove the cast iron skillet from the oven with an oven mitt! Oil spray generously and pour the cornbread batter in the skillet.
Place on a rack in the middle of the oven and bake from 20-25 min.
Maybe get some Mexican beer to go with it!