Halloumi or Challoumi or hellim is a semi-hard, unripened, slightly springy brined cheese traditionally made from a mixture of goat’s and sheep’s milk, and sometimes also cow’s milk. It has a high melting point and so can easily be fried or grilled. Originally from Cyprus, Halloumi is generally served during the warmer months with watermelon, due to its refreshing qualities. But pairs beautifully with any kind of fruit. Personally I love it best when grilled. The trick is to grill on high for a very short time, to keep it soft on the inside.
It balances perfectly with anything sweet because of the slight saltyness. Perfect for over a salad.
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 2 minutes
Serves : 2-4
• 2 large bags of prepared salad mix, about 10-14 oz. / 300-400 gr.
• 1 block Halloumi, drained and patted dry
• 1 cup Strawberries, washed, de-crowned and sliced in half
• 1 or two Avocados
• 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
• 1/4 cup sliced Spring onions
• 1/4 cup whole Basil leafs
• 1 cucumber, peeled
• 1/2 cup radishes, sliced
• 1 passion fruit, pulp only (optional)
HONEY BALSAMIC DRESSING:
• 4 tablespoons thick balsamic vinegar.
• 2 tablespoons honey.
• 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard.
• pinch of salt.
• freshly ground black pepper.
• 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil.
1. Get out a large serving platter, plate or salad dish and place all the lettuce leafs in the bowl.
2. Place all the ingredients for the dressing in a jar and shake well to combine. Set aside until ready to use.
3. Slice the cucumber in half lengthwise and again each half in half. Then cut into thick slices, so you end up with thick quarters. Arrange on top of the lettuce leafs.
4. Next divide all the radishes on top of the salad.
5. Scoop out the Avocado using a small spoon and place avocado on the salad.
6. Place the Strawberries on top and arrange all the basil leafs, tucking them in here and there so some are still visible.
7. Heat a griddle pan until hot. Slice the Halloumi into 1/4″ slices (1/2 cm).
8. Put the slices in the griddle pan and grill each side for one minute.
9. Place on top of the salad as soon as them come out of the pan.
10. Scoop the passion fruit pulp over the Halloumi.
11. Sprinkle with pine nuts and spring onion slices and serve straight away with plenty of the Honey Balsamic Dressing.