A creamy broccoli soup packed with goodness!
Comforting, creamy soup loaded with broccoli and cheese for a delicious filling meal, serve with crusty bread for dipping.
To keep the sodium in the recipe low, choose low- or reduced-sodium chicken stock. I’ve used a cheddar cheese in this recipe but a semi cured Gouda will work too.
• 2 tbsp. Olive oil
• 1 small onion, peeled and chopped fine
• 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
• 1 cellery stick, washed and sliced
• 1 large potato, peeled and cubed small
• 1 tbsp. Flour
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 medium head broccoli, cut into florettes. set aside 1/2 cup florettes,
• 1 1/2 Cup Milk (I use half fat milk)
• 1 Cup Chicken or vegetable stock (low sodium preferably)
• A handful of fresh Basil leafs, some smaller leafs reserved for decorating
• 1 Cup grated cheddar (loosely packed)
• Chopped spring onion and creme fraîche to serve
Heat the olive oil in a large pot.
Add onions and garlic and sautee until translucent.
Add the flour and stir to coat everything.
Add milk and stock slowly stirring continuously so you don’t get lumps.
Bring to a slow simmer and add the potatoes.
Chop most of the Basil, remember to reserve some small whole leafs for decorating. Add the chopped Basil to the soup.
Add the bay leaf and Broccoli florettes and cover with a lid.
Cook for about 20 minutes or until potatoes and broccoli are completely tender when pierced with a fork.
Meanwhile steam the remaining cup of broccoli florettes in the microwave for three minutes on high and reserve to add to the finished soup.
Remove the Bay leaf!
With a hand held blender, puree the soup until creamy and velvety.
Add the broccoli florets and heat thru.
Serve with a dollop of creme fraiche and some chopped chives.
Sprinkle with some Basil leafs and serve piping hot.