Po’ Boy Shrimp Burger with Creole Remoulade
THE BEST WEEKEND FOOD EVER!!!
This juicy Hamburger is a combo of a Po’ boy Sandwich and a Burger, so basically the best of both worlds.
A Po’ boy is a traditional sandwich from Louisiana almost always made with some kind of meat or fried seafood, my version features shrimp and I serve them on my Brioche Hamburger Buns which have a tiny sweetness to them.
Also with a traditional Po Boy, you loose a shrimp at every bite, and it’s so annoying. So I have decided to turn the “Po’ Boy” into a burger. I mean it really makes sense to me. All the deliciousness of a Po’ Boy, but in a patty that holds together all the way until the last bite.
And as with all crazy good sandwiches, there’s the sauce. And what a sauce it is…an incredible Creole Remoulade that will blow your socks off. Good with anything from fish to steak, but incredible on this burger. The ingredient list may seem long but once you’ve tried it, you’ll make it time and time again.
• 1 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
• 1 egg
• 2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
• 1 garlic clove, peeled and grated
• 1/2 red chili, de-seeded and chopped fine
• 1/2 cup Panko Bread Crumbs or Gluten Free Panko Crumbs
• 1 medium shallot, peeled and minced
• 1 tsp. Pink Himalayan Salt
• a few twists with the pepper mill
• 3 tbsp. Canola Oil
• 1 cup mayonnaise (or vegan mayo)
• 1/3 c. Ketchup
• 1 tbsp. (Creole) Mustard
• 1 tbsp. Cajun or Creole Seasoning
• 1 tbsp. Prepared Horseradish
• 1 tbsp. sweet pickle juice
• 2 tbsp. finely chopped Dill Pickles
• 1-2 fresh green onions, finely chopped
• 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce
• 1/2 – 1 clove garlic, minced and grated
• 1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
• ½ teaspoon each sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Let’s start with the sauce…
• Just mix all the ingredients in a bowl and set aside so the flavours can develope.
• For the Burgers;
• Pat shrimp dry with kitchen paper towels and place in a food processor . Pulse once or twice so the shrimp is roughly chopped with still enough texture. Add the egg, chopped cilantro, garlic , chili, Panko breadcrumbs, shallot, sea salt and a few twists with the pepper mill.
• Pulse a few times but leave chunky.
• Form burgers and chill for 1 hour (covered).
• Heat oil in a heavy skillet.
• When very hot, fry the shrimp burgers until golden and crispy , about 3 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Drain on paper towels.
• To assemble, Spread bottom with remoulade, add some arugula or shredded cabbage and sliced onion, pickles and place a burger on top or two. Top with some more sauce. Put the top of the bun on and devour.