We are so ready for soup season, this delicious chunky chicken and corn soup is one of our favourites. It’s hearty, filling, comforting and loaded with veggies and lots of corn. Topped with some crumbled crispy bacon and served with crusty French bread, what’s not to love. It’s the perfect soup for this time of year using summer corn but also comforting enough for Fall.
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves : 6
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped fine
- 1 red bell pepper, cleaned and cut into dice (reserve some for serving)
- 1 large carrot, cut into dice
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 leek, rinsed clean and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and grated
- ¼ cup flour
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 stock cubes
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 ½ cup corn kernels, drained (reserve some for serving)
- 1 cup double cream
- 8 rashers bacon, cooked crisp and drained on kitchen paper
- Handful of chopped parsley to serve
Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add onion, pepper, carrot, celery and leek. Cook on medium heat until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
Add the flour and stir to combine completely before adding the stock a little at a time, stirring to combine as you add. Pour in all the stock.
Add 2 stock cubes, crumbled up and stir until dissolved.
Add the chicken and corn and continue to cook until veggies are tender, about 15 minutes. Finally add the cream and leave to simmer until the soup is piping hot.
To serve , ladle soup into pretty bowl and sprinkle with reserved parsley, red bell pepper, and corn. Crumble some bacon over the top and serve with lots of crusty bread.