In your belly within the hour!
When you need bread in a hurry, this is the recipe for you!
There’s no yeast, no waiting for the dough to rise, no kneading and no need to live without bread because the supermarket has run out of yeast again. We’ve all been there.
All you need are a few simple ingredients. This yeast free spelt bread is so easy to make, because you just have to stir a few ingredients together and shape the dough into a loaf. I’ve used Spelt flour but you can easily swap it out for all purpose flour, see notes below.
Prep time : 15 min
Cooking time : 50-55 min
Makes : 1 loaf
• 2 tbsp./10 gr. Psyllium husk powder*
• 1 cup/ 250 ml. water
• 1 cup /250 ml. milk
• 1 tbsp./15 ml. honey
• 1 tbsp. /15 ml. neutral oil or melted butter
• 2 tsp./10ml. plain Vinegar
• 1 cup/115gr. whole grain Spelt flour**
• 3 cups/360gr. plain white Spelt flour**
• 4 tsp./ 12 gr. baking powder
• ½ tsp./ 3 gr. baking soda
• 1 ½ tsp./ 9 gr. Salt
1. First you mix the one cup of water with the Psyllium husk powder in a bowl and let it sit for 10 minutes until a jelly forms.
2. In a measuring jug, add the one cup of milk and warm in the microwave for 30-45 seconds until warm to the touch. Add the butter and honey and stir to dissolve. Mix this with the Psyllium/water mix in the bowl. Stir to combine and add the vinegar.
3. In a large bowl add the whole grain flour, the plain flour, the salt, baking powder and baking soda, stir with a whisk to combine well.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until combined and continue with your hands, start shaping a loaf in the bowl. Wet your hands with water because the dough will be quite sticky. Add a little extra flour if the dough seems too wet.
5. Transfer the loaf to the lined baking tin and make a few cuts in the loaf with a sharp knife. Place in the oven and bake for 50 to 55 minutes until golden on top. And when tapped with your fingers, it will sound hollow. Alternatively you may insert a wooden skewer, it should come out dry.
6. Remove from the oven once fully baked and let it cool completely before cutting.
7. This bread will keep well wrapped or in a Tupperware for several days. You can also freeze this loaf.
*Psyllium husk really improves the texture of the loaf, it gives a golden crunchy crust, bouncy soft texture and it helps rise the dough.
** You can use regular flour if you prefer, but use a little less, about 3 ½ cups total flour to begin with, you can always add a little more.
If you make this Yeast free Spelt Bread , be sure to leave a comment! I’d love to hear from you and if you love it, pin it. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! @thecookingspoonblog or hashtag it #thecookingspoonblog