Just three weeks ‘till Fall and I couldn’t be more excited about it. I can Finally turn on the oven without feeling like a basket case because yes, I did bake during Summer and people did call me crazy. But in their defense it was 36° C / 97° F at one point so who can blame them?
Either way I’m glad the heat wave(s) are over , I love Fall and rain and long hikes in the forest with that wonderful musky smell.
Then coming home to hot coffee and something freshly baked, like Donuts.
These Donuts. They only take 10 minutes to bake!
Brown butter Vanilla Donuts with Dark Chocolate frosting. Oh my….and since they’re baked it’s OK to eat two.
And the even greater part is that they’re low fat. Wait no, the greatest part is actually that you can’t tell they’re low fat. Awesome right?
Yes, you can definitely eat two , you totally deserve it!
Prep Time 10 mins
Cook Time 10 mins
Total Time 20 mins
• 1 Cup + 1 tbsp. white Spelt flour nr. 1050
• 1 tsp. baking powder
• ¼ tsp. baking soda
• Pinch of salt
• 1 large egg room temperature
• 2 ½ tbsp. butter
• 2 tsp. vanilla extract
• ½ cup buttermilk
• 1/3 cup caster sugar
• 100 gr. / 4 oz. chocolate chips
• 1 tbsp. coconut oil or butter
• 1 tbsp. honey
1. Pre heat oven to 180 C / 350 F
2. Lightly butter your Donut pan.
3. Whisk together in a large bowl, the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
4. In another bowl or large jug, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, sugar and vanilla extract.
5. Meanwhile heat the butter in a small dish in the microwave at 30 second intervals until brown and fragrant. It takes about 4, 30 second sessions but may depend on the power of your microwave.
6. Alternatively heat in a small sauce pan until light brown and fragrant without it getting burnt.
7. Let cool a little bit before adding to the egg and buttermilk mixture.
8. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
9. Fill a donut pan with the mixture, about ¾ full in each cavity.
10. Place on a rack in the middle of the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
11. Remove from oven, insert a wooden skewer to test if the donuts are cooked through, the skewer should come out dry.
12. Let cool on a rack for 10 minutes before removing the Donuts from the pan. Let the Donuts cool completely before frosting.
13. To make the chocolate frosting, melt the chocolate, coconut oil or butter and honey in the microwave at 30 second intervals until fully melted, stir to combine.
14. Place chocolate in a shallow dish or bowl large enough to dip in the donuts.
15. Dip each Donut in the melted chocolate and decorate with sprinkles or chocolate shavings.