When the temperature rises, easy meal prep and (semi) cold dishes are my kind of meal! This Peach Basil Shrimp Salad tastes light and fresh! Tender crisp succulent grilled shrimp served on a bed of crispy greens with juicy Peaches and lots of Basil for a complete meal ready in minutes (with almost no clean up); this is truly the perfect summer meal!
And for that matter, our favourite Salad.
The dressing is made with ready sweet chili sauce and an ingredient that I really love, Ume Su. Maybe you have heard of it? I discovered it a couple of years ago and love it.
Ume Su is the red juice of umeboshi apricots that are put in brine with shiso leaves. Its also very salty, and most times it’s not necessary to add more salt to your recipe. Ume Su is less acidic than ordinary vinegar though, because it’s technically not a vinegar but the sour brine juice from the lactic acid fermentation.
The best way to describe the flavor is fruity, slightly acidic and salty all at the same time, that’s why I love adding it to sauces and vinaigrettes because it adds a lot of flavor and a little goes a long way.
If you can’t find it, buy it online, but if you don’t feel like buying it at all, which I totally understand (but you’re missing out on something great), sub with more vinegar and salt.
Prep Time : 15 mins
Cook Time : 5 mins
Total Time : 20 mins
INGREDIENTS Sweet chilli vinaigrette
• 6 tbsp. sweet chilli sauce
• ½ cup natural oil or very light olive oil
• 1 tbsp. sesame seed oil
• ¼ cup lime juice
• 1 tbsp. fish sauce nam pla
• 2 tsp Ume Su
• 1 tbsp. honey
• Freshly ground black pepper
• Salt if necessary
INGREDIENTS Peach Basil Shrimp Salad:
• 1 cup loosely packed basil leafs only
• 16 oz. / 450 gr. mixed salad greens various colors if possible
• 1 cup radishes
• 2 peaches
• 2 avocados
• 5 spring onions
• 16 oz. / 450 gr. peeled big fresh shrimp
• 1 tbsp. canola oil
• Salt and pepper
• 1 large buffalo Mozzarella or 2 medium
• Handful fresh cilantro
1. For the Sweet Chilli Vinaigrette, mix all the ingredients in a jar and shake until well combined.
2. Reserve until ready to use. Leftovers are best stored in the fridge.
3. Place all the greens in a large serving dish. Sprinkle the Basil leafs on top of the greens.
4. Cut the radishes in very thin slices and fan them out, place them on the salad. Leave some of the smaller radishes whole.
5. Peel the peaches, cut in half, twist and separate the halves. Remove the stone and also cut into thinner wedges and place on the salad fanned out.
6. The same goes for the avocados, peel, cut in half, remove the stone and slice and place on salad.
7. Put a frying pan on medium high heat, when hot add the oil. Season the shrimp and cook for about two to three minutes on each side, depending on the thickness of the shrimp.
8. Cook until no longer pink and remove straight away from the heat. Arrange on the salad.
9. In the middle of the salad, place the buffalo mozzarella, slightly torn open to reveal it’s soft inside.
10. Sprinkle with the fresh cilantro and serve drizzled with the sweet chilli vinaigrette.