With Summer on its way, it’s great to have lots of salad recipes on hand. This Broccoli salad is so colorful and fun to make, and obviously fantastic to eat. The great thing about this particular salad is that you can even make it a day in advance, it holds up really well, making it perfect for Bbq’s and Picnics.
It’s very simple to make, start by soaking the cranberries in warm water. Then you caramelize the pecan nuts with the butter and sugar. As these cool, you steam the broccoli florets for just 3 minutes in the microwave. You rinse them under cold water and drain. The rest of the ingredients are then added and tossed with the delicious simple dressing.
⏰ Prep time : 15 minutes 🍝 Cooking time : 15 minutes 🍴 Serves : 4 as a side dish or 2 as a main course
• 1 large head of Broccoli, cut into florets • 1/2 cup of pecans • 1 tablespoon sugar • 1 tablespoon butter • pinch of salt • 1/3 cup dried cranberries • 1/3 cup pomegranate arils, reserve some to scatter on top before serving • 4 oz. chopped cooked ham • 4 oz. grated aged cheddar, coarsely grated or finely chopped • 2 tbsp. chopped chives • 2 tbsp. chopped parsley, (1 tbsp. goes in and the other on top) • 1/2 cup sour cream • 1/2 cup mayonnaise • a good squeeze of lime juice • 2-3 tbsp. milk • 1 teaspoon sugar • salt and pepper
1. Start by soaking the cranberries in warm water. 2. Then heat a small pan on medium heat and melt the butter. Add the Pecans, salt and the tablespoon of sugar. 3. Keep stirring until sugar is caramelizing and the nuts are golden. 4. Transfer to a plate lined with a piece of parchment paper and make sure to separate the nuts or they will form clusters. 5. Steam the broccoli florets for three minutes, rinse under cold water and drain very well. 6. For the dressing mix the sour cream, mayonnaise, milk, lime juice, sugar and season with salt and pepper. 7. Drain the cranberries and pat dry with kitchen paper. 8. Toss all the remaining ingredients over the broccoli and mix carefully. 9. Add the dressing and toss again. 10. Place all on top of some salad leafs on a big platter to serve. 11. Sprinkle with the pomegranate arils and some parsley.
When the temperature rises, easy meal prep and (semi) cold dishes are my kind of meal! This Peach Basil Shrimp Salad tastes light and fresh! Tender crisp succulent grilled shrimp served on a bed of crispy greens with juicy Peaches and lots of Basil for a complete meal ready in minutes (with almost no clean up); this is truly the perfect summer meal!
And for that matter, our favourite Salad.
The dressing is made with ready sweet chili sauce and an ingredient that I really love, Ume Su. Maybe you have heard of it? I discovered it a couple of years ago and love it.
Ume Su is the red juice of umeboshi apricots that are put in brine with shiso leaves. Its also very salty, and most times it’s not necessary to add more salt to your recipe. Ume Su is less acidic than ordinary vinegar though, because it’s technically not a vinegar but the sour brine juice from the lactic acid fermentation.
The best way to describe the flavor is fruity, slightly acidic and salty all at the same time, that’s why I love adding it to sauces and vinaigrettes because it adds a lot of flavor and a little goes a long way.
If you can’t find it, buy it online, but if you don’t feel like buying it at all, which I totally understand (but you’re missing out on something great), sub with more vinegar and salt.
Prep Time : 15 mins
Cook Time : 5 mins
Total Time : 20 mins
INGREDIENTS Sweet chilli vinaigrette
• 6 tbsp. sweet chilli sauce
• ½ cup natural oil or very light olive oil
• 1 tbsp. sesame seed oil
• ¼ cup lime juice
• 1 tbsp. fish sauce nam pla
• 2 tsp Ume Su
• 1 tbsp. honey
• Freshly ground black pepper
• Salt if necessary
INGREDIENTS Peach Basil Shrimp Salad:
• 1 cup loosely packed basil leafs only
• 16 oz. / 450 gr. mixed salad greens various colors if possible
• 1 cup radishes
• 2 peaches
• 2 avocados
• 5 spring onions
• 16 oz. / 450 gr. peeled big fresh shrimp
• 1 tbsp. canola oil
• Salt and pepper
• 1 large buffalo Mozzarella or 2 medium
• Handful fresh cilantro
1. For the Sweet Chilli Vinaigrette, mix all the ingredients in a jar and shake until well combined.
2. Reserve until ready to use. Leftovers are best stored in the fridge.
3. Place all the greens in a large serving dish. Sprinkle the Basil leafs on top of the greens.
4. Cut the radishes in very thin slices and fan them out, place them on the salad. Leave some of the smaller radishes whole.
5. Peel the peaches, cut in half, twist and separate the halves. Remove the stone and also cut into thinner wedges and place on the salad fanned out.
6. The same goes for the avocados, peel, cut in half, remove the stone and slice and place on salad.
7. Put a frying pan on medium high heat, when hot add the oil. Season the shrimp and cook for about two to three minutes on each side, depending on the thickness of the shrimp.
8. Cook until no longer pink and remove straight away from the heat. Arrange on the salad.
9. In the middle of the salad, place the buffalo mozzarella, slightly torn open to reveal it’s soft inside.
10. Sprinkle with the fresh cilantro and serve drizzled with the sweet chilli vinaigrette.
Let’s celebrate Spring in full glory with this amazing refreshing salad. It’s super easy to make and you can easily substitute the chicken with some succulent Shrimp or any other protein you like.
INGREDIENTS COBB SALAD:
1 lb. chicken tenders
2 tsp. Cajun seasoning
¼ cup bbq sauce
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp. olive oil for frying
1 head of lettuce
2 red bell peppers
20 cherry tomatoes (more or less)
2 -4 hard boiled eggs
1 small can of corn, drained
1 – 2 avocados, peeled and stone removed
1/3 cup olives
handful baby carrots
GREEN GODDESS DRESSING:
1 avocado, peeled and stone removed
½ cup natural yoghurt of choice
½ cup natural sugar free milk of choice
Small handful of fresh Basil* see note
Small handful of fresh Dill* see note
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. onion powder
A dash of tabasco
Juice of half a lime
¼ cup olive oil
Salt and pepper
½ cup of water or more for the right consistency
First we’ll marinate the chicken, place the chicken tenders in a bowl and
season them with the Cajun seasoning , then add the bbq sauce. Mix to combine
and cover. Place in the fridge to marinate, overnight if possible but any
amount of time is good.
Take out a large plate or platter and arrange a layer of lettuce on it.
Meanwhile wash the peppers and pinch them with a fork all over, put them on
a plate and microwave for 6 minutes, remove and cover with foil straight away.
This is so the skin will loosen from the peppers. When cool enough to handle
pull away all the skin and tear the peppers into strips, place them on the
lettuce in a single diagonal row.
Cut the tomatoes in half and arrange in a row on the lettuce
Cut the eggs in quarters and arrange on platter.
Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
For the dressing, combine all the ingredients in
a blender, and run until all is smooth. Add the water
until you have the desired consistency.
Now heat a non stick frying pan large enough to hold the chicken tenders in
one layer and set to high heat.
Add the olive oil and place the tenders in the pan, cook on one side for
two minutes and turn. Cook for another two minutes and lower the heat to low.
Cook for another two minutes or until cooked thru,
check by pulling a piece open.
Add the tablespoon of honey and stir around so
it starts to caramelize. Turn off the heat and place the chicken tenders on the
salad right before serving.