Crispy fish in a Taco is one of the better things in Life. The soft Tortillas and the crispy fish with the cooling sauce is just food heaven.
I can’t say that its super fast to make because there’s a bit of prep work involved. But you could easily just make the fish and use store bought Tzaziki if you are short of time. Any leftover Tzaziki can be used on sandwiches.
- 1 lb. firm white fish cut in large-ish chunks
- 1/2 C. fine polenta + 1/2 C. white flour, mixed
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/4 C. milk
- 1/4 C. vegetable oil for frying
- Taco seasoning
- 2 large onions, sliced thin
- 1/4 C. lemon juice and some beet juice (optional)
- 2 Avocados, peeled and sliced in to wedges, sprinkle with lemon juice
- 1 cucumber, washed and grated coarse
- 1 C. Plain Yoghurt
- 1/4 C. mayonnaise
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and grated
- salt and pepper
- a handful of Cilantro, chopped
- 8 Tortillas to serve, whole wheat or regular
- 2 C. shredded Iceberg lettuce to serve
- Lime wedges to serve
- 1/2 C. pomegranate seeds to serve (optional)
Start by grating the cucumber, put everything in a tea towel and squeeze out as much juice as you can. Next put it in a bowl. Add the yoghurt, mayonnaise, cilantro, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix and set aside.
Next put the fish chunks in one bowl, season generously with taco seasoning.
In an other bowl, beat the two eggs and add the milk.
In a third bowl, mix the polenta with the flour.
Dip the fish in the egg mixture, then the polenta-flour and put on a separate plate.
Get out a frying pan and heat the oil. Fry the fish for about five minutes on medium high heat. Take out of the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
Meanwhile heat the tortillas. To serve spoon a generous amount of the cilantro tzaziki on the tortilla and some shredded iceberg lettuce, then the crispy fish on top. Add some avocado wedges and sprinkle with onion slivers and pomegranate seeds. Serve with lime wedges.
Looking for more great recipes to try? Be sure to check out this Cajun Jumbo Shrimp Tacos with Corn, a Peach & Koriander Salsa and Roasted Pepper Aïoli