I love using Spelt in baking, but it can be a bit tricky to get the water amount right, since it doesn’t absorb like wheat flour. So if the dough seems a bit sticky, don’t worry, that’s how it is supposed to be. Don’t be tempted to add more flour because you might end up with a very solid loaf or in this case bagel.
So let’s get crackin’
Makes 10 Bagels
- 2 cups whole grain spelt flour
- 3 cups white spelt flour
- 2 tsp dried yeast
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 C. + 2 tbsp. lukewarm water
- 2 1/2 tbsp. Coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 tbsp potato starch/flour
- 1 tbsp rice or date syrup, or coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- Garnish to sprinkle on top. See comment below.
To make the dough combine the first 6 ingredients, and mix a little bit, then sprinkle in the salt and knead for 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. Divide the dough into 10 equal portions and form into small balls.
Form the bagels by pressing your thumb in the middle and create a hole.
Place the bagels on a baking tray covered with baking paper and cover with cling film. Allow them to rise for one hour at a warm room temperature.
Preheat the oven to 425° F / 220° C.
Mix the potato starch into a cup of cold water, then add to a large pot of water and add the remaining 1 tbsp. of syrup (or sugar) and salt . Bring to a rolling boil and then lower the heat so the water is just simmering. Drop the bagels, two or three at a time into the water.
After about one minute, turn them over and cook for another minute. Take them out using a slotted spoon and place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Sprinkle with the topping of your choice*. Place the tray of bagels in the oven, lower the temperature to 400° F / 210° C degrees Celsius and bake for 25 minutes, until they start to brown. Take the out of the oven and let them cool on a rack. They freeze very well.
- Toppings can be anything like Sesame seeds, Sunflower seeds, Pumpkin seeds, Poppy seeds and the typical “Everything” Bagel, for which I have written the ingredients below.
Makes about half a cup.
- 2 tbsp. Poppy seeds
- 2 tbsp.Sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp. dried onion powder
- 2 tsp. dried garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano (optional)
- 1 tsp. coarse sea salt