Olive oil Zucchini Banana Bread with chocolate chips
Shredded zucchini and mashed banana work perfectly together and ensure that this nutritious loaf stays nice and moist. The banana adds sweetness so there is no need to add too much sugar. It’s the best of all quick breads if you ask me. With the added chocolate chips to make it a real treat. Lightly sweet and perfectly fluffy and moist, and very healthy too.
WET • 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium bananas) • 2 large eggs • 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed • 1/4 cup honey • 1/3 cup mild olive oil • 2 tsp. vanilla extract • 1 1/2 cup grated zucchini, don’t pack to measure, instead fit loosely in the cup. (about 1 medium/large zucchini) SEE NOTE about drying zucchini*
DRY • 1 cup oat flour, made by simply grinding oats in a food processor • 1 cup brown rice flour or whole wheat all purpose flour • 2 teaspoon baking powder • pinch salt • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Spray one 9×5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper. Set aside. 2. In a large bowl, add the the first six ingredients and whisk to combine. 3. In another bowl combine the flours, baking powder and salt, stir in the grated zucchini. Add the wet ingredients, and stir with a spatula, now add the chocolate chips and stir thru. 4. Turn batter out into the prepared pan , smoothing the top lightly with a spatula.
5. Bake for about 55 minutes or until the top is golden, the center is set, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. 6. Allow bread to cool in pan for about 15 minutes before turning out on a wire rack to cool completely before slicing and serving.
Note – place grated zucchini on a clean kitchen towel and roll it up, wring out as much moist as you can.
The smell coming from the oven while this cinnamon swirl banana bread was baking was simply amazing.
This banana bread, with it’s incredible moistness and sweet banana flavor has tons of very very ripe mashed bananas, this is what makes the bread so sweet and moist and generally very yummy, also yoghurt for freshness (and less butter) and a cinnamon brown sugar swirl in the middle.
Lots of vanilla in it too, because I just love real vanilla, I love it almost more that chocolate.
Making this (and from this day forward your favorite 😉) banana bread is so simple. It’s very straight forward, however it is necessary to have all the ingredients at room temperature.
Get everything out, measure correctly and throw it together.
First mix the dry ingredients and set aside. Then in a stand mixer, mix the wet ingredients.
Mixing the dry with the wet should be done with a rubber spatula because over mixing will turn your banana bread into rubber. And that would be such a shame. Just about 8 strokes with the spatula until all the flour is absorbed. No more.
⏰ Prep time : 10 min
🍧 Cooking time : 40-45 min approx.
🍴 Makes : 1 loaf
• 2 cups (250gr.) all purpose flour or half whole wheat and have plain or even spelt flour.
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• pinch of salt
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 3/4 cup (150gr. ) packed coconut sugar or regular light brown sugar
• 1/2 cup (115 gr.) unsalted butter, room temperature
• 2 large eggs, at room temperature
• 1 1/2 cups mashed very ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
• 1/3 cup plain yogurt
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 tbsp. coconut sugar or light brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/350° F. Spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the brown sugar and butter on medium speed until well blended and creamy– about 3 minutes.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Add the mashed banana, yogurt, and vanilla. Mix on the lowest stand for just a minute or so.
6. Remove bowl from mixer.
7. Add the dry ingredients in one go and gently fold to mix with a spatula. Do not overmix. Just until all the flour is no longer visible, about 10 folds.
8. Mix the cinnamon and the sugar for the center swirl.
9. Spoon half of the batter into prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar in one straight line on the batter. Cover with more batter and make swirls or zig-zags with a knife.
10. Top with remaining batter. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes in the pan on a wire rack. Remove from pan and cool completely on the wire rack.
11. Slice and enjoy.
12. Banana Bread will keep for about a week in an airtight container.
If you make this, don’t forget to snap a pic and post it on Instagram. Remember to tag me in your picture @thecookingspoonblog so I can see your delicious creations.
This Banana cake is a hybrid between a banana bread and a cake. It’s super healthy and even wheat free. We love having it for breakfast with some peanut butter or nutella and toasted it’s absolutely amazing.
It also happens to be fat free and has very little sugar in it.
Pre heat the oven to 310° F./160° C.
1 C. Mashed Bananas
3 medium eggs, room temperature
1/4 C. Honey
1/4 C. Coconut blossom sugar
1 1/2 tsp.pure vanilla extract
1/4 C. Yogurt regular or soy
2 C. Spelt flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
Plus: 1 tbsp. Coconut blossom sugar + tsp Cinnamon mixed for sprinkling over the top
Spray a loaf tin with cooking oil, line with parchment paper and lightly spray with oil again.
In a large bowl combine the first 6 ingredients.
In an other bowl sift together the flour with the baking soda and powder.
Add the dry mix to the wet mix and stir together with a spatula, do not over beat.
Pour into loaf pan. Sprinkle with the coconut sugar and cinnamon mix and swirl through a knife.
Place in the middle of the oven and bake for about 60 minutes. Let cool completely before slicing.
TIP: serve with some Chocolate-Hazelnut spread or Peanut butter. Sprinkle over some toasted Coconut shavings.