Today I’m sharing this wonderful side dish with you. Pommes Duchesse filled with tiny bits of crispy bacon and crème fraiche. I can’t even begin to tell you how good these are.
They may seem a bit daunting but I can assure you that they are easier than you may think. It’s just fancy mashed potatoes squeezed onto a baking dish really.
I love potatoes served in any way, and sure there’s nothing wrong with a good ‘ol roast potato but this year , let’s go the extra mile.
Let me take you thru the steps; first you boil the potatoes , let them steam dry completely, then add butter and crème fraîche. Mash until smooth and season generously. Cook the bacon until crispy in a separate pan. Add to the mash with an egg yolk. Gently mix until combined.
Beat the egg white until peaks form and fold thru the mash potato. The beaten egg white gives the potatoes almost a soufflé like consistency. Then they are piped onto a baking sheet and baked until golden perfection in the oven.
We are completely in love with these fancy Pommes Duchesse!
⏰ Prep time : 30 minutes
🍝 Cooking time : 20 – 25 minutes,
🍴 Serves : 6
• 3 lbs. medium/ large potatoes, peeled and quartered
• 2 tsp. salt for the boiling water
• 4 oz. bacon cubed or sliced
• 1/8 tsp garlic powder
• 1/2 tsp. onion powder
• a good grating of nutmeg
• salt to taste
• 3 tbsp soft butter
• 1/4 C. crème fraîche
• 1 egg, separated
1. Place the peeled and quartered potatoes in a large pot and fill with cold water until half way up the potatoes, add the salt.
2. Bring to a medium boil with the lid half on and cook for about 20 minutes, until fully cooked and tender when pierced with a fork.
3. Turn off the heat. Drain, and return to stove with the lid off, let them steam dry.
4. Now pre heat the oven to 200° C / 400° F
5. Meanwhile gently and over low heat cook the bacon until very crispy, this can take up to ten minutes so be patient. You want to render out all the fat. Reserve the fat, we will use that later! Remove the bacon and place it on a kitchen paper to drain.
6. Process the bacon until very fine crumb in the food processor.
7. Now add the butter to the potatoes and start mashing, then add the crème fraîche.
8. Season with the onion, garlic, nutmeg and salt and taste.
9. Add the bacon crumbs.
10. Add the egg yolk and mix through with a wooden spoon.
11. Beat the egg white until stiff and fold through carefully not to lose air.
12. Get out a pastry bag and fit with a large nozzle of choice. Fill with the potato mixture. Alternatively use a large ziplock bag and cut off the corner.
13. On a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, pipe out rosettes the size of a ping-pong ball.
14. Brush carefully with the reserved bacon fat and place in the middle of the oven.
15. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden and crispy. Serve straight away.
If you make these Pomme Duchesse, be sure to leave a comment! I’d love to hear from you and if you love it, pin it. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! @thecookingspoonblog or hashtag it #thecookingspoonblog